Dallas Cowboys Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Two plays that Chapped me big time .....

3 posters

Go down

Two plays that Chapped me big time ..... Empty Two plays that Chapped me big time .....

Post by caddy4bp Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:18 pm

There were many things that we can point to yesterday. Penalties called or not called, inability to get stops, shooting ourselves in the foot, inability to substitute, use of time outs. I'll let all of you chip in on your feelings about the game yesterday.

For me, there were two plays that snatched victory from us. See what you all think.

First one, was the 2nd & 1 from around the GB 20. Turns out it was a run pass option and Dak obviously made the wrong decision. I'm watching on TV and I see Hyde creeping up on Dez as he did his homework and knew the possible play. We drafted Zeke #4 for many reasons and one of them was to convert those 2nd or 3rd & 1's.

I would have also run on the 3rd and 2 on the first drive before settling for the FG. I was looking at going for it on 4th if necessary as FG's weren't going to cut it in this game.

The other play, to me clearly lost the game and that was the SPIKE! We had them on their heels as we were ramming it right at them, run or pass. I wanted them to be aggressive and go for the TD, but that SPIKE, cost us a key down. At the very least we would have run off 4-5 seconds with a pass play even if incomplete. If completed maybe 5 - 15 yards. Now you're in FG range and may have that key 1st down that would allow you to be the last to have a possession in regular time. You could have a few cracks for a TD and a happy ending to the game or at the least a FG with time expiring. But Rogers would not have gotten another possession.

Losing the points because of that INT, cost at least 3 points, so when you look at the final score, funny but those would have been crucial and had we scored a TD, games over. Giving the ball back to Rogers was inexcusable and that's on the coaching in my opinion. Those are my two most crucial mistakes!

caddy4bp

Back to top Go down

Two plays that Chapped me big time ..... Empty Re: Two plays that Chapped me big time .....

Post by MRich Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:43 pm

I wasn't real happy with Brice Butler. That 15 yarder essentially cost us 37, and killed a drive. He also dropped a TD pass that the announcers said he should have caught.

Not happy with T. Williams dropping a pass that he should have caught, too. That killed a drive, too.

Garrett needs to reiterate with these guys that "finish" doesn't mean "with field goals".
MRich
MRich

Back to top Go down

Two plays that Chapped me big time ..... Empty Re: Two plays that Chapped me big time .....

Post by caddy4bp Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:04 pm

I get you on the penalty on Butler. FYI, that hadn't been called since 1984! There actually wasn't a formal huddle, just a lot of muddling around, so he wasn't actually in any huddle. I watched that several times and he was more a bystander. As for the blown TD attempt, yeah, I put that on him for not bringing it in. No question, hit his hands, gotta catch those. What I don't remember of that sequence was did we score 3 or 7 or 0 on that drive? Raises the level of the error if we got 0 or only 3.

Williams got the ball where he likes it but I will say the margin of his inability to catch it was slim. He wasn't fully square to Dak so it got into his body at an angle and he didn't get his hands up fast enough. Should have caught it but not being square made the degree of difficulty that much higher for him as a body catcher, so yeah another blown play.

But the two plays I focused on in my opinion had direct effect. Easily the INT cost 3 or more points and that's huge. Blowing the clock management was inexcusable and we should have either punched in a TD or kicked the tying FG as time ran out in regulation.

There were any number of opportunities blown and as everyone checks in we'll likely get to revisit 5-10 more!

We really haven't even gotten into the stripes and how they blew calls that hurt us badly. Naturally the bad call on Butler that hadn't been called in 33 years! The PI on Anthony Brown, turned out to really be only a holding penalty instead of giving them about 30 yards. Ball hadn't left Rogers hand at the time of the call. Should have only been 5 yards! Check out the all 22 on that. The holding on the screen pass they had that went for a big gain, Irving got pulled down. Or how about the 3 and out in the red zone when Witten got hooked by the LB at the 5. Should have been a 1st down, whether PI or holding. Lots of things could have changed this game. What about the blown substitutions that gave them a 1st down on their 1st possession, which led to 7 pts? What about the 2nd time and Garrett had to bang a useless time out, that proved to be costly as Garrett decided to SPIKE the ball instead of putting his foot on their throat?

caddy4bp

Back to top Go down

Post by MRich Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:13 pm

The thing with the substitutions could be a lack of preparation thing, though. They know that Rodgers likes to do that.
MRich
MRich

Back to top Go down

Post by caddy4bp Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:41 pm

Garrett said they prepped for their substitutions, so they were totally aware! Even I know that Rogers has pulled a guy offside or gotten teams caught substituting and gaining 16 TD's in the process in his career. To be caught like that and having to call a TO in the 2nd half helped them beat us. Little things look so much bigger in the playoffs and Garrett wasn't up to the task in dealing with this. You knew they'd quick snap the ball if you're substituting and still are caught twice in the game. Two big things came out of the mistakes by us. I would have hung any of my coaches that didn't have their substitutions on task. Totally unacceptable! You've played 16 games for this shot and you blew it. Personally, I figured that Capers would fool Dak into one or two mistakes by what he'd read pre snap. Got him to give up points with his pick when it was 2nd & 1. The play call was a run pass option and he failed to look at the defensive backs to that side. I'm watching Hyde creeping up and if I wanted to pass, I would have changed to a 9 route, but what do I know. But that's if I felt I had to take the pass. I wanted the hand off to Zeke for the yard and keep pounding them.

I can't let go of the 2nd & 1 and the SPIKE! Doesn't mean they were the only things as the poor substitutions were damaging too. 3rd & 5 and we give them a free first down, they go down for 7 and are loose on the lead. Later in the game, it forced Garrett into taking a TO to avoid another penalty. That made the SPIKE necessary according to Garrett, because he wanted to keep the last TO in his pocket for a FG attempt if necessary. We were pushing them around and moving quickly downfield, i would have kept my foot on their throat and gone for 7 points. Needed one more first down to have everything available to me. TD, FG at worst and no time left on the clock for Rogers to pull a rabbit out of his .....

caddy4bp

Back to top Go down

Post by lgkehoe Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:27 pm

Sigh
lgkehoe
lgkehoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down