Dallas Cowboys Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

11-1, doing just enough...

3 posters

Go down

11-1, doing just enough... Empty 11-1, doing just enough...

Post by MRich Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:39 am

A couple of big plays, and a timely fumble recovery, and your Dallas Cowboys are 11-1...

Cowboys racked up a whopping 262 yards of total offense. Had far too many untimely penalties (10 penalties, 78 yards), and struggled to move the ball against Minnesota's defense. An overthrown pass at the end of the game kept it from going to OT...

But, the offense made the plays when they needed to, because they held Minnesota to 15 points, which for them ended up being three FGs and a TD (missed 2pt). They also "lost" the time of possession game.

I think Dak and Zeke didn't implode as much as they could have. They're still rookies, and that was probably the toughest (or second toughest) defense they've faced all year. yes, they both had fumbles, but I think they recovered from it. Though I will admit, some of those fumbles had me shaking my head (like the Lucky Whitehead one on the jet sweep).

They did get a couple of sacks, but they really need to pressure the QB more. They can't just rely on coverage to get the job done. If they make those sorts of mistakes against the Giants, things may not turn out so well.

Although Dallas didn't give up any big special teams plays (i.e. returns for TD, long returns), and actually ended up making one (the fumble recovery) that they turned into points.

So, here are the remaining 4 games:

@ NYG (8-3)
vs TB (6-5)
vs DET (7-4)
@ PHI (5-6)

Two divisional games on the slate. Thoughts there?
MRich
MRich

Back to top Go down

11-1, doing just enough... Empty Re: 11-1, doing just enough...

Post by caddy4bp Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:09 pm

To get to 11 wins or even beyond you have to win a few "ugly" games. This was certainly one of those. This time of the year you're playing desperate teams and our next three games are perfect illustrations of that.

While its unlikely now that the Giants can beat us out for the NFC East title, they still will give it all they have. They're fighting at the very least for a wildcard spot and a loss to us could jeopardize that for them. Tie breakers are important for them at this point. Remember they're 6 & 1 in their last 7, so a loss doesn't make them a team that's lost its way.

Who knew that TB & Det would be two pretty hot teams, but thats what they are. So we can't sleep our way through those games either. For us now, its not only the division, but when you're in the cat bird seat for the "home field advantage" throughout the playoffs, we too have a ton to play for. Rather have a rabid crowd behind us then against us come January!

This game against MN, our offense was pretty bad. Penalties killed us throughout the game on both sides of the ball. Zak looked like a rookie, unsure and slow in his decisions, yet it was his runs that were the big plays on offense. Dez was fantastic when called on. Zeke was just good enough, yet if not for a penalty he had a 42 yard play called back.

MRich, you mention our D line and the sacks they did get but bemoan the lack of pressure. Outside of Lawrence they don't have a true pass rusher. They have fighters but not great rushers. I like the rookie Collins who's getting a few at DT from the 3. But if there's an area of concern and a deep one, is this line. The lack of a pass rush, can and will end our season if we don't put up more points than we did in this game. Anthony Brown has played very well on the outside, albeit, he got suckered by Desean Jackson a week earlier. He was starting out there over Scandrick, so the coaches are showing a lot of faith in him. The return of Church helped out in this game a lot.

If things go as most of us expect, the season ending game against Philly will be dangerous for our team. I'd expect their D coordinator to throw the book at whomever we have at QB and put as many shots on that guy as possible.

caddy4bp

Back to top Go down

Post by MRich Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:34 am

I'd definitely say that "winning ugly" is a fitting descriptor for that game. The four upcoming teams are going to give us everything they have. Only one is below .500 right now (PHI), and they're a division rival.

Additionally three of the four are considered playoff teams, with DET (#3), NYG (#5), and TB (#6). PHI is still considered "in the hunt" but would probably need some sort of major implosion by several other teams to get in, and to go on a major win streak themselves.

So every team we face from here on has some sort of playoff implication.
MRich
MRich

Back to top Go down

Post by lgkehoe Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:31 pm

They are better rested. They will go back to what got them here (I felt they departed against Minny). They will pass this next test with flying colors.

Witten has a big day. Beasley gets in on the action. But all this should be just to occasionally relieve the box, as the game should be Zeke running between 25 and 30 times, and getting another 5-10 in screen receptions. Ball control offense makes the already one-dimensional Giants even more predictable, and the Cowboys bleed the clock on a fairly methodical win, 31-17.

I wish the Giants had JPP so there were no "yeah, but"s afterwards. At least we all know the truth. The Cowboys are simply better.
lgkehoe
lgkehoe

Back to top Go down

Post by caddy4bp Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:36 pm

Yeah but? We played game one without Romo, Lawrence, Scandrick in game 1. Not forgetting McLain & Gregory too, but they've not played at all. Thrown in Hanna as well. All teams play w/o key players. Add them up at the end, all you can do. No one felt bad for us last year with all the injuries and a 4-12 record.

caddy4bp

Back to top Go down

Post by lgkehoe Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:48 pm

The rest of the NFL is full of yeah buts when it comes to the Cowboys.
lgkehoe
lgkehoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum