Dallas Cowboys Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

9-1, but I feel a little bit like we "stole" that one...

4 posters

Go down

9-1, but I feel a little bit like we "stole" that one... Empty 9-1, but I feel a little bit like we "stole" that one...

Post by MRich Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:50 pm

As a few of you have pointed out, pass defense is definitely a concern. I feel like we "stole" that game. Though I think we played relatively well in the 2nd half against the #1 defense, I think the Ravens hurt themselves with penalties. I don't think it was as clean of a win as it could have been, and Dak definitely got away with a few, but I'll take it.

9-1...let's enjoy the ride so far...
MRich
MRich

Back to top Go down

9-1, but I feel a little bit like we "stole" that one... Empty Re: 9-1, but I feel a little bit like we "stole" that one...

Post by Cowboy1959 Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:23 pm

I sure don't think we stole it in any way.  That was a tough game against the best defense in the league, and we earned every bit of it.  After a shaky first quarter, the Cowboys took control of the game late in the second quarter and didn't let up until they were up 24-10.  Dak was almost perfect in the second half, and Zeke had 70 of his 97 yards in the third and fourth quarters.  And the defense shut the Ravens down for 31 minutes, from 4:18 left in the second quarter to 3:14 left in the game.  The Cowboys had the ball 20 of the 30 minutes of the second half.  I don't know how much better it gets against a quality opponent.  They're not all going to be cakewalks.

This is still a team learning how to win, so I think we need to dial back the expectations here.  This team is playing above their heads and out of their minds, and I hope they can keep it up until mid-February.

I'm not going to start looking for style points from this team, but if I did I would certainly give them a lot of credit for getting out of a tough game with a solid win.  Did you see how demoralized the Ravens looked on the Cowboys' final two drives?  They did almost nothing to stop the Cowboys on the TD drive when they were running very predictable plays--two runs to Zeke and a pass to Witten or Beasley every series.  The Cowboys did nothing exotic on that drive, but they just executed their game plan to perfection.  I don't know how it gets any better than that:  13 plays, 88 yards, and 8 minutes off the clock.  That was a dominating, smothering, demoralizing demonstration of power.

Then, when the Ravens needed to stop the Cowboys and get the ball back, the Cowboys drained the clock with a 13-play, 72-yard FG drive that took another 6:30 off the clock.  And if Garrett hadn't decided to play it straight, the Cowboys could well have converted 4th and Inches on the 3 and just knelt on the ball for 3 plays without scoring another point.

Not sure which game you were watching, Rich, but the one I saw left me feeling very good about this team.  We've won 9 straight games (let that sink in for a minute, since it's never happened in the regular season before), and have done it in a variety of ways:  blowout, come-from-behind, playing well, playing not so well, etc.

We may have won a couple of games where we were more lucky than good (Washington and Philly come to mind), but this wasn't one of them.  This was hard-nosed football against a good team, and we not only outlasted them, we imposed our will on them when it counted the most.

Cowboy1959
Cowboy1959

Back to top Go down

9-1, but I feel a little bit like we "stole" that one... Empty Re: 9-1, but I feel a little bit like we "stole" that one...

Post by MRich Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:45 pm

Reading your perspective, and reflecting on what I saw in the game, your assessment is far more accurate than mine. Very Happy

Though like you, I do wish we would have gone for it on that 4th & 1 late in the game.

I'm feeling very good. Talk of the NFL right now. Those O-Linemen are bulldozers, for sure. I definitely saw what you're referring to on those last drives. It's almost like the Ravens D was thinking "What do we have to do??"

There are aspects of this team that are reminding me very much of the 90's Dynasty Cowboys...and I'm LOVING it.

Next up: WAS on Thanksgiving Day. I'll be watching as this Cowboys team continues to improve...
MRich
MRich

Back to top Go down

Post by lgkehoe Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:07 pm

Summed up perfectly by '59.

I have to wonder...if the way this team wins is boring? And if it is boring, is that why they do seem to be underrated by some.

I'm reminded of the Brad Johnson Buccaneers or the Trent Dilfer Ravens. Now, having just mentioned the two most notorious "Bus Drivers" in championship history, please do not think I am suggesting Dak is only a bus driver. However, he is that...he is a great Bus Driver. He executes to near perfection and doesn't risk hurting the team.

This defense needs protection. So the offense helps, but they are very adept at protecting themselves, too. It's cliche yet apropos with their bend but don't break approach. They will challenge the opposition to sustain a perfect drive, too.

Limit the big plays on D. Our offense executes better than theirs. 

Simple. 

Easy to underrate.

Boring. 

And awesome!
lgkehoe
lgkehoe

Back to top Go down

Post by caddy4bp Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:53 pm

First of all, lets be real. We were facing jumping Joe Flacco! Not the best QB in the league. Notorious for a low completion percentage, low yards per attempt and this year low 3rd down success rate. He was who I thought he was! We weren't facing someone to be feared offensively. They, the Ravens are well known for winning ugly games 13-10, 17-13, those type of games.

Realize what was just accomplished these last two weeks in particular. We faced Pittsburgh and the Ravens, two of the most physical teams over the last 10+ years. Playing them is always a war every week. Teams that have previously played them back to back viewed a split as a major victory. Brutal, knock down drag out games. We survived and got the W's in both contests and left those two licking their wounds. We stole one against Pittsburgh, no doubt, but yesterday as 59' laid out we adjusted and dominated the game with five consecutive drives and two drives over 85 yards. Wore them down and just executed play after play, at all levels in the passing game.

Now am I a bit concerned about how we came out of two very physical games? Absolutely, and now we play on a short week and we face a track meet type team. They will look to run us all over the field and wear us down on defense. This is not a stretch I'm looking forward to as we have another Thursday game next week up in MN. Used to get that 10 day break but not this time and coming off the 2 AFC games we just had does concern me.

caddy4bp

Back to top Go down

Post by lgkehoe Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:34 pm

It may all end tomorrow night against the Vikings. I doubt it, but it could. So, today, I cherish this run.

There's a point where I stopped guarding the optimism and just let go. There will be a let down here, eventually. And I don't event know how it will feel. It's been two and a half MONTHS since the fans have experienced what a loss is like...we may never have that ever again. Ever. Most NFL fans will never experience that feeling.
lgkehoe
lgkehoe

Back to top Go down

Post by caddy4bp Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:17 pm

I think the Vikings game is another W. Two teams going in different directions. They'll come out fighting as their season is virtually on the line tomorrow night. Having lost 2 to Detroit is huge and they can't afford the loss. I don't see them keeping up with our offense. Also can't give them cheap TD's (specials teams or defensively). Bradford isn't that good and they already start without a running game. I've watched too many of their games to know they can't convert 3rd and 1 with any consistency. I'd expect they'd try and pass on 3rd downs, with Bradford's completion pct over 70% on passes less than 10 yards.

Say what you want about Garrett but I don't think he lets them concern themselves with the outside noise and a let down. Come to work today, work hard, get better and move on to the next day. They know inside that locker room that they're having a special season. That brings accountability for each guy to be ready, focused and giving their all on every play. We know they're weakness and its a big one, but thus far we've been able to really enjoy some football. I'm expecting a win against MN, so pull up a chair, a nice beverage and enjoy!

caddy4bp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum