Dallas Cowboys Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interesting theory I heard...

4 posters

Go down

Interesting theory I heard... Empty Interesting theory I heard...

Post by MRich Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:17 pm

I'd like to run it by the forum, and see what you think.

Look at how this team is built offensively. Especially with Dak at QB. We have a much more balanced attack, it seems. The theory is that Dallas is having success because the offense is built to run more than other teams, and other teams defenses are built around stopping passing games moreso than runs. The theory also goes that teams are putting more nickel packages on the field, and linebackers are built "in between" a "traditional" linebacker and a safety, and so they can't handle the run game as well.

Thoughts?
MRich
MRich

Back to top Go down

Interesting theory I heard... Empty Re: Interesting theory I heard...

Post by Cowboy1959 Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:27 pm

Well, it's certainly possible. The game has changed over the past decade, and teams aren't investing in premium RBs as they used to, opting for letting the pass set up the run. Still, there have been great RBs throughout the past 10 years so it seems like a bit of a stretch to say that defenses aren't geared to stop the run.

I think if you look at most NFL rosters, the defensive breakdown is probably along the lines of 9-10 DL, 6-8 LBs, and 5-7 DB. In other words, most teams are loaded about the same. I doubt that there are too many teams who have gone heavier at DB, to the point where they're shorting themselves at DL.

I also don't know that LBs are any more "tweener" than they've been over the past 20 years. I don't know the roster of every team, but are there a lot of teams with fast, smallish LBs? Again, it seems unlikely. LBs today aren't the big guys they used to be in the '60s and '70s, but you'd have to compare the average size of LBs today with those of, say, 20 years ago to get a better read on whether LBs have been shrinking.

I think what's going on in Dallas is a perfect storm of an emerging OL, a particularly talented RB (who defenses haven't seen before), some nice play calling by the coaches, and the fact that the Cowboys haven't faced any real premier defenses yet. I think Pittsburgh and Baltimore will be good tests for this offense, so we'll see how they do then.

Cowboy1959
Cowboy1959

Back to top Go down

Post by MRich Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:26 am

Your last paragraph is what has me a little excited about this season. This Cowboys team is starting to look more and more like a playoff team. I don't know how well they'll do, and it could very well be an illusion, but if we get by Cleveland, we're 7-1 at the halfway point. So even if we severely regress and play .500 football the rest of the way, that still gives us an 11-5 record.

But I'm getting about 9 weeks ahead of myself.

They need to have a good, solid showing against Cleveland. That game is a perfect setup for the "let down" or "trap" game.
MRich
MRich

Back to top Go down

Post by lgkehoe Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:01 pm

The first "premier" defense we faced was Cincy. Dallas removed that designation from them. Then, it was the vaunted, #1 rushing defense in the league - designation removed. Philly...designation removed. I cannot wait until Dallas faces another formerly designated premier defense.

Barring injury, this team will not be stopped because it cannot score. It has and will continue to be the pass rush that remains a serious concern, especially now, with a deleted secondary.

What this team has not faced is a premier QB. That's what worries me more than anyone's and everyone's defense.
lgkehoe
lgkehoe

Back to top Go down

Post by MRich Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:15 pm

That is an extremely valid point. One I hadn't considered. Especially since I think the old adage "Defense wins championships" still holds in the NFL.
MRich
MRich

Back to top Go down

Post by lgkehoe Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:00 pm

If the defense (and ball controlling offense) contains the enemy at Heinz field, this team is more than legit. They start moving into the "favorite" category. 

I hope this ends up meaning nothing, but I sure wish the Cowboys could have had this match up with Mo and Church on the field.
lgkehoe
lgkehoe

Back to top Go down

Post by MRich Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:37 am

That's a great point, lg.

Right now, Pittsburgh is 3-1 at home, and 1-3 on the road, and on a 3 game losing streak. They're 2-3 in their last 5.

Doesn't mean much, just interesting to look at stats.

But I think it ultimately boils down to what you said for this team. Control the ball, contain on defense.
MRich
MRich

Back to top Go down

Post by caddy4bp Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:31 pm

For me, this is the formula that Parcells used back in NY. He used to get ripped for putting such an emphasis on running in September, when everyone else was passing. His opinion was that if you wanted to win in December and January, you had better be able to run the football. What it does is also wear down the oppositions defense, more 20 years ago then now, but it does take its toll. It rests your defense who isn't the best or most comforting for me. Without a pass rush there are teams that will drill them pretty good, yet Rodgers failed to dent their armor. Still puzzling to me. A team that worries me is Atlanta (playoffs) that can light you up if you give them an inch. That to me may be a shootout, so we'll want to be at our best in the running game, to rest our defense against them or in games of that sort. A healthy Ben could do the same, but his line is dicey and may allow us to get just enough pressure on him to get off the field in key spots.

Pittsburgh is in a near must win situation, so this may be a tough game. If Ben plays like he did last week, we win going away.

caddy4bp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum