Dallas Cowboys Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it time for Ro to Go?

3 posters

Go down

Is it time for Ro to Go? Empty Is it time for Ro to Go?

Post by MRich Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:47 pm

I think it is. He's going to start the season suspended, though I don't recall if it's 6 or 10 games. He got involved with something called "Purple Drank" (yes, that's what it's called) allegedly, and apparently showed up 40 pounds overweight.

I don't think he's got it in him anymore. I think he likes the playing aspect, but not the work and effort that goes into the rest of it.
MRich
MRich

Back to top Go down

Is it time for Ro to Go? Empty Re: Is it time for Ro to Go?

Post by Cowboy1959 Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:25 pm

It's past time for him to go. I thought they should have cut bait with him last year, and I definitely think that you can't keep having special-case guys just because you have a positional need. If Jason Garrett is really concerned about having the "right kind of guys" and doing things the "right way", then you can't have cancers like McClain in the locker room. I think Garrett's problem is convincing Jerry that they can lose just as many games without those guys as they can with them.
Cowboy1959
Cowboy1959

Back to top Go down

Post by MRich Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:26 pm

To that end, you also are "wasting" a roster spot. If McClain is suspended for 10 games, that's 10 games they could have someone else productive on the field. if Ro's productivity is 0, then ANY amount of productivity is better than that, right?
MRich
MRich

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowboy1959 Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:23 pm

That should always be the formula, especially if you have young talent you've taken all the trouble to bring in. Should McClain be given a roster spot at the expense of a guy you might want to keep around, even if he's a developmental player? Based on the entirety of McClain's situation, NO. If McClain was a productive guy, a good locker room influence, and a reliable part of your rotation, then fine. But he's none of those things, and it's like the Cowboys have to beg to pay him to play in the NFL. What's the point? They could pay me HALF his salary and I'd be more than happy to take up a roster spot on that team. I'd probably give them just as much production as he can for those first 10 weeks.

I don't even think it should come down to the salary cap. He needs to go, so let's just bite the bullet and take the hit. The money might be inconvenient, but the team will be better off.
Cowboy1959
Cowboy1959

Back to top Go down

Post by MRich Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:49 pm

Honestly, if you got Garrett 1 on 1 off the record, I'm sure he'd tell you he doesn't want McClain. But one of Jerry's big things is he's a softy for giving guys multiple chances.

Sometimes that's commendable, but sometimes you can't.
MRich
MRich

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowboy1959 Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:52 pm

It's not commendable after the guy has repeatedly made you look like a fool by screwing up chance after chance. Then it just looks desperate. And pathetic.
Cowboy1959
Cowboy1959

Back to top Go down

Post by MRich Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:46 pm

That's very true. No argument from me there.
MRich
MRich

Back to top Go down

Post by caddy4bp Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:46 am

First of all, he's (Ro) is not around the team, so that's good. No, I wouldn't dump him now, but I don't want him on the team. The cap hit would be worse to cut him now, plus he'd be owed his bonus of 750K. By keeping him, the team won't have to pay that 750K as that would be voided by the suspension. FYI, its a 10 game pop. Then they save on 10/16th's of his salary against the cap. That won't be paid out due to the suspension so they'd save that or get that back for next season's cap. Forget how that plays but it is a savings. Cut him now and he gets to keep the 750K and the guaranteed portion of his deal.

Personally, I didn't want to see him resigned. He's good with playing but not with practicing and that doesn't play in a locker room where guys are fighting to make the roster and have to play through pain to stay on the 53. There were games the last two years where I'd rewind to see if he was even on the field. Games where he wasn't doing anything. I don't want to see him getting his guarantees and the team taking cap hits for cutting him now. Wait until his suspension is up and then cut bait.

It appears that with the weight gain he had little or no interest in playing this summer/season. Have to figure he knew he was popped and didn't really care much one way or the other. The "drank" is a codeine based concoction that supposedly was his latest drug of choice. We probably all thought it was the weed, but whatever. Just no need to cut him now. He doesn't sit on the 53, so that's a non issue as well as he's on the suspended list. Same for Gregory & Lawrence. When Lawrence returns someone on the 53 will have to be waived to move him onto the 53.

caddy4bp

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowboy1959 Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:27 am

I'm all for holding onto him for the sake of the financial aspect, as long as he's on our side of the firewall between the team and the general public. I don't want him anywhere near the locker room. I think his offseason home is in Georgia, so if he's not in Dallas at all that will be a bonus.

Re-signing him was a mistake, and it's a further sign of Jerry's inability to separate the needs of the team from the good of the team. And although I would hate to see McClain get to pocket that $750,000 as a reward for screwing up, it would serve Jerry right to have to eat that as a price for his foolishness.

Still, if time is truly on the Cowboys' side here (i.e., McClain sits at home in Georgia hundreds of miles away from the team), then they can hold onto him until it's time to let him go. He is clearly not going to play at all this season--or ever again--so it's time to cut bait and move on.

What a waste of talent, and an opportunity thousands of other guys would kill for...
Cowboy1959
Cowboy1959

Back to top Go down

Post by caddy4bp Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:40 am

All true Cowboy! But why take the hit if you don't have to. Use the bad situation for some good, even if its just for cap purposes. Me, I'd hate handing him 750K for nothing and worse, is being a complete screw up. Screws himself & the team. Why reward him? But I'd cut him right after he was reinstated.

I didn't see a consistent player, enough to give him another deal let alone more money than 2015. He just doesn't bring it every week and that's because he's not in real football shape. A tough, physical game hurt him to produce in back to back games. That's how I saw it.

I agree, I don't want to see him in the locker room and when under suspension he can't be in the building or at least not when the teams in town. So I'd expect him to be in Mobile and stay there. Hopefully he does.

caddy4bp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down