Dallas Cowboys Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Classic Game Preservation and Restoration

Go down

Classic Game Preservation and Restoration Empty Classic Game Preservation and Restoration

Post by Cowboy1959 Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:07 pm

I teased this in another thread, so I thought I'd show you guys what I was talking about.

As I've mentioned before, I'm part of a community of historian-collectors who are dedicated to preserving and enhancing the legacy of the NFL.  We are a small but dedicated group of individuals who are involved in a variety of projects, including books, game reconstructions, music preservation, and video restoration.

Even though it's depressing to note how much has been lost over the decades, it's amazing how much has survived, and in astonishingly good quality.  A couple of summers ago a nearly complete version of Super Bowl V surfaced, and it looks tremendous for a game that was played almost 46 years ago.

I'll put up a sample of that game in a future post, but I wanted to complete my thought from the other thread about video restoration.  One of our members, Dave Volsky, who has an outstanding YT page with thousands of music tracks used in NFL Films over the years, has been trying his hand at bringing old games back to life.  He recently completed a restoration of the 1970 NFC Championship.  I've PM'd the link to a side-by-side comparison of before and after to our registered members for your information.  I think you'll find it very compelling (please note that the "before" actually appears to the right, which makes more sense as far as the game flows on TV).

I'll be interested in your reaction and comments.

By the way, Dave's NFL music page can be found here:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqfPGKps_-i_uRiWm5Pj2-w/videos.  One of the lesser-known (and, as a result, more surprising) facts about this music is that, although Sam Spence was the only composer credited on the shows, NFLF actually used tracks from several dozen composers who contributed work to various music libraries available for licensing.  Dave's page is an essential...no--THE essential source of information for NFLF music, and you can spend days and days going through the music he has compiled.  You'll hear all of your old favorites, and more.

As you see, we take our work seriously.  Our common thread is our great love and respect for the NFL, it's players, coaches, and contributors, and our reverence for the old broadcasts we grew up on and which have stayed in our hearts and our memories for decades.  I'm proud to be part of our little community, and I enjoy sharing some of what we do with our community here.

Cowboy1959
Cowboy1959

Back to top Go down