Remember When This Guy Was All the Rage? How Quickly We Forget

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Remember When This Guy Was All the Rage? How Quickly We Forget

Post by Cowboy1959 on Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:57 am

Anyone know who this is?  He was the subject of a lot of speculation that he might be Romo's replacement a couple of years ago.

Cowboy1959

Back to top Go down

Re: Remember When This Guy Was All the Rage? How Quickly We Forget

Post by MRich on Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:04 am

Stephen McGee...
MRich

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowboy1959 on Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:11 pm

Nope. Try again!
Cowboy1959

Back to top Go down

Post by lgkehoe on Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:26 pm

Alex Tanney!

He played a game last year for the Titans. He went 10-14 for 99yds and threw a TD. Not a bad debut.

I personally still think the kids has a chance in the NFL. He was just not suited to be a Cowboy with this FO which loves veteran backups. Tanney and all other developmental QBs need an organization which does not believe they are just one player away from the big game.
lgkehoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowboy1959 on Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:35 pm

You are correct sir!

I remember that there was quite a bit of conversation about this time a few years ago when the final roster was taking shape. There were some of us who thought the PS was the best place for him, and others who thought that he should stay on the roster.

Personally, I liked the kid and wanted to see more, but I didn't think he had earned a spot on the 53 with the other needs we had. He had an exciting style, though perhaps a little too much of the "bad Romo" instincts. Unfortunately he got plucked off the PS so we never got to see what he might have become, and he's played for 6 different teams now since he came into the league in 2012.

I did note his performance last year, and I'm going to have to go back to NFL.com to see if they have highlights of that game. His performance earned a 114.88 passer rating. Not bad. Unfortunately the Titans didn't win.

I hope he gets a chance to be the guy somewhere, but it looks like he's destined to spend at least another year riding the pine in Tennessee.

Cowboy1959

Back to top Go down

Post by caddy4bp on Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:57 pm

He looked as though he had potential. It requires teams to invest into developing QB's and not the play em immediately syndrome. Teams just don't really want to put in those 2-4 years to develop a QB.

We have Dak playing at an unseen level right now and people are going ape over this. To me, tap the brakes and let him develop. He's in a great spot. There will be Wednesday's that Romo sits out and he'll get those valuable reps. He'll run the scout team. All valuable to his development. I don't think he's ready for prime time just yet, but you have to love that he makes plays and seems in control. He still has to learn when to throw it away, deal with teams disguising coverages and fitting balls in tight windows against players quicker and more athletic than he faced in college.

caddy4bp

Back to top Go down

Post by lgkehoe on Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:38 pm

Its the toughest job in sports. And its a tough job interview. It's like graduating college with an accounting degree and then being thrown into Enron towards the end to hide the trails. Make one mistake on your first day, and unless you were highly recruited, you're out, only to have the same difficult set up somewhere else.

Tanney may never be heard from again, but his fifteen minutes has been pretty exciting. Those trick shots are still impressive.

There's a guy named Brodie Smith, a former Ultimate player, who does trick shot videos. Watch him on youtube for a few minutes of pretty cool entertainment. And as I watch Smith, I often reflect on Tanney.

Maybe we just needed a more creative playbook for him...have the lineman hold up a hoop and have the receiver run with a bucket???
lgkehoe

Back to top Go down

Post by lgkehoe on Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:27 pm

LOL I just saw Tanney listed as a potential veteran signing!!

I closed the tab as soon as I saw that, so I cant reference the article or even remember the source but it was either Pro Football Talk or BTB.

Wow!
lgkehoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowboy1959 on Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:53 pm

He got mentioned in the DMN as well. I think it'd be a stretch that he'd be brought in (they'd have to trade for him), but that would bring things full circle in an interesting way, wouldn't it?

And who knows--at the rate our QBs are dropping, he could be a starter by October...
Cowboy1959

Back to top Go down

Post by lgkehoe on Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:27 pm

Ha! There is a certain irony that would balance it all out.
lgkehoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top