Dallas Cowboys Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A First Look at the 53

Go down

A First Look at the 53 Empty A First Look at the 53

Post by Cowboy1959 Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:28 pm

This is a pretty good estimate of what the opening day roster is going to look like, and it's hard to find many (if any) areas of disagreement.  And I note that, as I suggested, Devin Street and J.J. Wilcox are going to be ex-Cowboys, barring injury to someone the Cowboys would rather keep.

I am a bit surprised at the Cowboys carrying 5 RBs (4 HBs and an FB), and I think that may be a little extravagant for this squad, especially since they're only carrying 9 DLs.  Still, it's understandable given the talent at the position, and perhaps they would look to move one of their guys via trade.

Likewise with the TE position, which I don't think requires 4 bodies going into the regular season.  Of course the returns of James Hanna, DeMarcus Lawrence, and Randy Gregory will shuffle the deck somewhat as the season goes on (as may injuries), but this looks like a fairly solid team.  I like the names and the depth at secondary for a change (still not a big Brandon Carr fan, though), and you've got to love those first 6 names on the OL (not a big fan of Chaz Green, either, but we definitely need to see if he can develop).

From Jon Machota in the DMN:

Quarterbacks: Heading into training camp, this seemed like a position locked in for three roster spots. But then Dak Prescott decided to own the first two weeks of the preseason.

1.) Tony Romo

2.) Dak Prescott

Running backs: If the Cowboys are only carrying two quarterbacks, why not keep Jason Garrett's streak alive of having a fullback on the roster. Darren McFadden (elbow) was not included because he is still on the team's non-football injury list.

3.) Ezekiel Elliott

4.) Alfred Morris

5.) Lance Dunbar

6.) Darius Jackson

7.) Keith Smith

Wide receivers: If the Cowboys stick with keeping five, this group seems like a pretty solid bet.

8.) Dez Bryant

9.) Terrance Williams

10.) Cole Beasley

11.) Brice Butler

12.) Lucky Whitehead

Tight ends: With James Hanna (knee) likely to start the season on the physically unable to perform list, a fourth tight end is probably needed. I'm going with Austin Traylor over Rico Gathers because Traylor is more prepared to contribute immediately. Traylor represents my final roster spot. If it doesn't go to him, perhaps the Cowboys keep Jameill Showers, another receiver (Andy Jones or Devin Street) or  a sixth corner like Josh Thomas.

13.) Jason Witten

14.) Gavin Escobar

15.) Geoff Swaim

16.) Austin Traylor

Offensive line: The first eight spots seem locked in. But I don't think the Cowboys can go with only eight, so the ninth spot goes to either someone not currently on the roster or a tackle like Bryan Witzmann, who is second behind only Chaz Green in preseason snaps with 84.

17.) Tyron Smith

18.) Zack Martin

19.) Travis Frederick

20.) La'el Collins

21.) Doug Free

22.) Ron Leary

23.) Chaz Green

24.) Joe Looney

25.) Bryan Wizmann

Special teams: As you expected. No surprises here.

26.) Dan Bailey

27.) Chris Jones

28.) L.P. Ladouceur

Defensive line: If the Cowboys keep nine, there's a good chance this is the group. With DeMarcus Lawrence and Randy Gregory suspended to start the season, Ryan Russell makes the cut. The last end spot comes down to Russell, Shaneil Jenkins and Mike McAdoo.

29.) Tyrone Crawford

30.) Jack Crawford

31.) Benson Mayowa

32.) Terrell McClain

33.) Cedric Thornton

34.) David Irving

35.) Charles Tapper

36.) Maliek Collins

37.) Ryan Russell

Linebackers: Not a lot of surprises here. With Rolando McClain's NFL future in question and Jaylon Smith (knee) unlikely to play in 2016, these seven seem like a pretty solid bet.

38.) Sean Lee

39.) Anthony Hitchens

40.) Kyle Wilber

41.) Justin Durant

42.) Damien Wilson

43.) Mark Nzeocha

44.) Andrew Gachkar

Defensive backs: Every roster projection I've done has the Cowboys keeping five corners and four safeties, so I'll stick with that. The final spot comes down to sixth-round pick Kavon Frazier and 2013 third-round pick J.J. Wilcox.

45.) Brandon Carr

46.) Morris Claiborne

47.) Orlando Scandrick

48.) Deji Olatoye

49.) Anthony Brown

50.) Byron Jones

51.) Barry Church

52.) Jeff Heath

53.) Kavon Frazier
Cowboy1959
Cowboy1959

Back to top Go down